BP will invest $1.5bn in gas projects and drilling in Egypt in the next few years, Bloomberg reported.

The investment will be spread over a period of three to four years and follows bp’s JV with UAE-based ADNOC, announced in mid-February. In the meantime, the UK gas giant will continue to hold 70% of its current interests in Egypt outside the JV.

BP and ADNOC are expected to conclude the partnership in the second half of 2024. News of the joint venture came on 14 February, when bp announced a 51% stake in the newly formed company, with ADNOC owning the remaining 49% interest.

William Lin, bp regions, corporates & solutions executive vice-president, said at the time that the partnership with ADNOC will offer a “platform for international growth”.

“Together, we will build on the 60 years of safe and efficient operations of bp and its partners in Egypt and continue to produce and deliver secure, lower-carbon energy in the form of natural gas to the country,” he continued.

Overall, GlobalData research shows the coal, oil and gas sector was the 23rd-largest foreign direct investment sector in terms of the number of greenfield investments between 2019 and 2022, accounting for 0.6% of projects worldwide.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.